Monday, October 31, 2011

A Little Chicken

Awhile back, I saw an idea online for making a homemade chicken costume and thought it was totally adorable.  At first, I just dismissed it as way too much work and kept browsing for other Halloween costume ideas for Miles.  Nothing else really caught my eye and I kept thinking about how cute that little chicken costume was, so I went back and looked at it again and discovered it wasn't nearly as hard to make as I had thought it would be and decided that Miles would indeed be a little chicken for Halloween!

I went out and bought some white 24 month onesies (2 sizes bigger than he's in now), 3 white feather boas (4 would've been ideal, but those things are expensive!!), a child's swim cap, some red soft foam board, a bag of stuffing, and some red flannel scraps.  First, I safety-pinned 2 1/2 boas to one of the onesies and tried my best to evenly distribute the feathers.  After I was happy with how it looked, I turned the onesie inside out and hot glued all the safety pins shut so they couldn't pop open and stab Miles.  Then, I turned it back right-side out and put a second onesie inside and safety-pinned and hot glued the bottoms together, so that when I put some stuffing in between them it would stay put.  That's it for the body!  For the cap, I started by drawing a freehand chicken comb on the red flannel, cutting it out, and hand-stitching around 3 edges.  I turned it inside out so the stitches were hidden, put a little stuffing inside, pinned it to the top of the swim cap, and then sewed it in place.  After that was done, I took the 1/2 boa that was left and hand-stitched that in a few places to the cap so that the feathers were evenly distributed there also.  Cap - done!  We had some red leggings already and I cut out some chicken feet from the red foam board to use as shoe covers.  The feet looked cute, but weren't very practical for a newly walking baby, so those got ditched pretty early on!

Miles' Halloween costume was the source of much (mostly good-natured) mocking from Bill, as he didn't really see the point of the spending the time or money on it.  I heard "Is this costume for Miles or for Mommy?" many times while I was working!  I figure this'll be the only Halloween I get to dress Miles however I want without input from him, so I'm going to take advantage!!

So, here's some pictures of the final product from Annette's Boo Party:

Happy little chicken!





He left a trail of feathers everywhere he went, so we
didn't have to worry about losing him!


Enjoying his prize from the Pick a Pumpkin game.

Splashing in the water was fun!


Momma and the chicken boy

Daddy and the chicken boy



No comments:

Post a Comment